Lighting Fixture Facelifts
![]() |
| Plain Lowe’s chandelier |
Applied Old Ochre ASCP, distressing allowing the original black to peak thru just on edges. Candelabra sleeves gilded with Modern Masters silver metallic paint. Found these really great burlap lamp shades at Hobby Lobby for only $7~ each. And lastly, but the most important accent, a Lowe’s ceiling medallion that only cost $20~ was embellished with the same finishes with an exception of lots more silver gilding to bring out the wonderful leaf like details. So pleased with the final result, looks as if it were purchased from a high end lighting store.
Of course, I couldn’t stop there. As I took inventory of other light fixtures in the house, determined to enhance them to their fullest potential one at a time. Next on my list was the kitchen’s awful florescent grade light overhead, that has absolutely no ambiance what so ever. I unfortunately did not take a before shot, was too anxious for it to be removed. But if you close your eyes, I’m sure you can visualize a white plastic florescent light, that will be donated to my local good will store.
![]() |
| Replaces old florescent fixture |
The best part of all, this happened to be the original dining room fixture that was builder grade installed, that I had replaced. A rust brown simple fixture that I’d saved in my attic just in case I moved and wanted to have it reinstalled (of course taking my favorite chandelier with me).
Recycled fixture was refinished with ASCP in Coco and a touch of dry brushing with Old Ochre and clear/dark wax, and Modern Masters silver metallic paint. Once again, I choose the plain rust colored ceiling medallion from Lowe’s costing only $10~ applying same painting techniques.
![]() |
| Before…Above Bar/Island |
![]() |
| Final End Result |
Surprisingly the expenses spent rejuvenating these fixtures…were less than $150~. And that’s with me purchasing a brand new fixture from Lowe’s for $50~ to replace light above bar/island area. Retouching new fixture to match it’s counterpart. Of course, I used existing leftover ASCP from other projects, just a little of Annie Sloan’s chalk paint goes a long way.
(Small disclaimer…extremely difficult capturing photos of light fixtures hanging from a ceiling with an iPhone that'll do justice.)





YOU DID AN EXCELLENT JOB REGINA...I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO DO THIS EXACT THING...GUESS IT RUNS IN THE FAMILY...I RECYCLE EVERYTHING I CAN....LOVE YA....:)
ReplyDelete